Monday, May 10, 2010

I'm a little behind.

I'm behind in everything. I'm behind in studying for my finals. I'm behind in completing an essay that is one of my finals. I'm behind in my housework. I'm behind on this blog. I'm behind on a Mother's Day post. So here we go...

I don't have any children except the furry variety. Want to hear how my Mother's Day went? I'm pretty sure my two little furry girlies knew it was a special day, because they let me sleep in yesterday, which they usually don't do. When I got out of bed and started getting ready, they greeted me with plenty of licks and wagging tails. I'm pretty sure it was their way of saying happy Mother's Day. When I sat down later, they proceeded to pile all of their toys around me, which I like to presume were their Mother's Day gifts to me. (Really, they were just trying to get me to play tug-of-war or fetch, but I like my version better.) What sweet little chil'en I have.

But, in all seriousness, I like celebrating Mother's Day with my mom. This was the first Mother's Day that I didn't actually spend it with her. It was kind of sad. But I called her and wished her a happy Mother's Day and all that. She was actually spending Mother's Day with her mom in New Mexico. So, at least I know she had fun.

Do you spend an insane amount of time picking a card out for someone? I do. I always have. I look at almost every single card that's there. It can't be too mushy, but it can't be unfeeling, either. Most of the time, I try to go for something funny, but it's hard to find the right humor that I may share with that particular person. Sometimes I pick a card that's a little more sentimental, but I consider what kind of card I gave the person last year in order to decide whether or not I should be sentimental or funny this year. See how complicated it gets?

So a few weeks ago, I was looking for the perfect Mother's Day card. Most of them were so mushy I could only take one look at it and then put it immediately back. After looking for a good thirty minutes, I found one that wasn't too embarrassingly sentimental, but it was a little plain. I started to head to the check-out counter, when I noticed a card with a picture of Sarah Palin on it. I immediately picked it up, hoping it was anti-Palin. It said on the front: "Sarah Palin could be our next President of the United States." and on the inside it said: "Guess there are scarier things than raising kids." Bingo.

I hope all you mothers out there had an awesome Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment