Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kiddie Confusion: Father's Day Edition

Let me start off with a Happy Father's Day to all the daddies out there! (Including my dad.) Yet again, just like Mother's Day, this is the very first Father's Day that I haven't spent with my dad and it makes me sad. But just like my mom spent this past Mother's Day with her mom, my dad is spending this Father's Day with his dad. So I guess it works out.

So, with it being Father's Day and all, I'm dedicating this post to a Dad Kiddie Confusion. This Kiddie Confusion is one my dad experienced as a child. When I was little and had asked my dad about blood brothers, my dad had shared something that he had been confused about when he was a little kid. (I think he told me about it so I'd feel better.)

He said when he was about the same age (8 or 9) he had learned about how the Earth was rotating all the time. He didn't understand why, when he jumped into the air, the Earth didn't move underneath his feet....therefore enabling him to land in a completely different spot. I remember reflecting on this at the time, and to me, his kiddie analysis made perfect sense. My dad then explained Earth's gravity, and how it kept us in place. Wouldn't jump-travel be awesome, though?

It's strange to think my dad was a little kid once...I only think of him of just being my dad. Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment